Are Dental Implants Right For You?
According to the American Dental Association, an average of 80 million teeth are extracted every year. This means that each year, millions of Americans are in need of a tooth replacement option. Since their introduction to the dental industry in 1981, dental implants have become the best option for replacing missing teeth. The main benefit of this procedure is its ability to mimic the entire structure of a natural tooth- from the root to the crown. If you are suffering from missing teeth, Forest North Dental offers dental implants in Lake Forest, IL.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a tooth replacement procedure that replaces the entire tooth. Instead of replacing just the visible part of the tooth like dentures do, implants also replace the root of your tooth. This procedure is basically composed of two parts: the implant and the crown.
The implant is what replaces the root of the natural tooth. This prosthetic root is screw-shaped and composed of titanium, a biocompatible material. It is placed into the jawbone. Over a period of 2 to 4 months, the implant fuses with the bone in a process called osseointegration.
The crown is what replaces the visible part of the tooth. It is bonded permanently to the implant using an attachment site called the abutment. The material that is used to make the crown can be chosen to match the shade of the surrounding teeth for a natural look.
Why Dental Implants?
At North Forest Dental, we consider dental implants to be more natural in fit, function and appearance than any other tooth replacement procedure. There are many benefits to implant dentistry.
- Are the most natural option. Implants feel and fit just like a natural tooth. This is because the implant actually becomes a part of your jawbone to securely hold the structure in place permanently.
- Are a long-term solution. Implants can last a lifetime when they are cared for properly.
- Restore chewing ability. Dentures only restore up to 30 percent of your natural chewing ability. Implants, however, can restore up to 95 percent of your chewing ability. That means your diet will not have to be adjusted and you will not suffer from weight loss or poor diet.
- Keep jawbone and facial shape. With other tooth replacement options, jawbone disappears over time. The implant, however, tricks the body into thinking that a tooth is still present and this stimulates jawbone growth and prevents your facial structure from changing.
- Don’t damage neighboring teeth. Procedures such as bridges and partial dentures rely on the surrounding teeth for support. This can cause damage. Implants simply use the jawbone for a solid base and do not cause damage to neighboring teeth.
We offer quality dental implants at Forest North Dental. Dr. Rich Rosenblatt has undergone intensive training to perform this procedure for our patients. If you are looking for an experienced Lake Forest implant dentist, choose Dr. Rich Rosenblatt for a lifelong, durable and successful tooth replacement solution. Still have questions about the implant process? Check out our informational videos here.
For more information, or to find out if you are a candidate for implants, visit our office or call us today to schedule your appointment at (847) 234-4405.